Thursday 16 June 2016

The Crypt milonga, Glasgow


Originally published 1.2.16

On Saturday I went to the Crypt milonga in Glasgow, run now by Bryan Laird, very successfully I think.

Entry is cheap:  £5 for (nearly) three hours dancing with drinks and snacks - quite amazing really that you can have a great night out for that.  You can "Bring Your Own Bottle".  There is a door buzzer for entry though I prefer milongas which make it easier for people to hear the music and wander in. The floor is not wood but I have never found it to be a problem. The speaker hangs from the ceiling directly above the dance floor. The DJs have been local people.  Lately I have felt Glasgow has a couple of of the better DJs in Scotland - Iain Dickinson and Michael Freedman.  

Bryan greets his guests and chats with them.  This sets the tone which yesterday seemed particularly warm and happy.  Bryan is apolitical and he is liked. There were several new people, some of them brand new dancers, who were welcomed and who danced.

Bar a couple of experienced men, most men stayed in the ronda.  My shin was grazed by the stray heel of the partner of one of these weavers and dancers-in-the-middle.  The floor is small so it is difficult to keep your distance.    

I am delighted there is no class before this milonga and it is happily performance-free.  The strict caretaker backed up by a local teacher had said there was no time to play La Cumparsita. Unfortunately that teacher grabbed that opportunity to advertise a forthcoming dance workfest - already very well advertised online -  as though most social dancers at a class-free milonga were interested in that sort of thing.   

Bryan had bought lights to make this milonga a bit less dark.  I had a nice time and I just wished it  could be longer than the short three hours.

The Glasgow scene is much younger than the Edinburgh scene.  A good dancer said to me "I prefer dancing in Glasgow now".  I understand why and just now I agree.  

The music played at this milonga is here.

Photo by Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment