Thursday 16 June 2016

Ksenija's milonga



Originally published 23.3.16

Ksenija's fundraising milonga in mid December was one of the nicest I went to in Scotland last year. Several people said how lovely it was. 

It all starts with the host and the tone. It is a necessary element though not sufficient, because great music and good physical conditions for dancing are also needed. But actually Ksenija's milonga was makeshift, not fancy.  It was a space in someone's office and I think it was organised fairly impromptu. Still, it had a good floor, there were chairs opposite one another and you could see to invite and though it was a smallish space people did still invite by look.   Those I think are the main conditions. 




December 2015
A:  I had such a great night! Finally, in Edinburgh! Did you? Amazing how different host, venue, atmosphere can change everything even with the same (or rather a subset of the same) people.

B:  My thoughts exactly! What a lovely host and a lovely evening!! It's nice when things don't feel oppressive. 

A:  What a relief when a milonga like Ksenija's can change so much.

B:  She was so happy, sunny and welcoming! 

A:  Yes. And attentive to everyone's needs. She is an ideal host.
B:  Yes I think the key to a good milonga is a good host. 
A:  An essential element, I agree. Like attracts like when it comes to organisers, I feel.


*

March 2016

A:  I was chatting to someone yesterday about who/why certain people get asked to dance... He reckoned it could be summed up as "warmth".
B:  I agree with that. For me dancing has much less to do with skill, technique even experience, than it has to do with  character.

*

December 2015
It was just lovely. It was the best night I have had in Edinburgh since...I can't remember. Iain had offered a room at his office for free. He's born to host too.  They are ideal hosts together. It was the warm tone that was so nice. I commented on that to a partner & he said yes, warm & cosy which is exactly the sort of event I'd've expected Ksenija to run. 

Juan was the DJ. The music was lovely if high energy. Biagi then fast Laurenz - No me extrana (dance video with Ismael Heljalil & friends; fast vals, fast milonga. Most of the tandas were great except (another) poor Pugliese. There was a not so great OTV at the start with Coqueta (dance video in Lo de Celia & Viento Norte - I'll take Coqueta at a push but never Viento Norte. Video [or "how to tramp a tango"].  There was another poor "early evening" tanda next to it I'm not sure I even knew the orchestra. But overall it was very nice. Tricky perhaps to DJ for such an intimate milonga. I wish Juan had varied the speed of the tandas more is all. He did a great trad set at the Counting House in November though was more variable the once or twice I heard afterwards.

We were only between 15 & 20. Of the guys I only danced with one guy swapping 2 & 2 tracks because he is tall & amazingly good as the girl. It was very nice. I had all nice girl partners & good dancers.

With the Forth Road Bridge closure it was three hours travel for three hours in the milonga but it was worth it.

*

Ksenija, who I think is an anthropologist, has gone to Nepal now but if you need a great host or just someone warm, attentive and welcoming - that's the chica! 



No comments:

Post a Comment